You Are What You Eat

Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character." (1Cor 15:33 NIV)
We are often influenced by those we surround ourselves with. I believe this is true not only of people, but of the books and information we take in on a daily basis. John, the great encourager at SCOTWISE, has asked me to list my bookshelf. I can't bring myself to do the entire meme, but here is a sample of what I am working on:

After three years overseas, a missionary friend of mine just arrived home on his first furlough. We used to meet regularly to study together, and he was a great guide in my walk. To prepare for his return, Re-Entry: Making the Transition from Missions to Life at Home, by Peter Jordan was a recommended read. Although intended for missionaries themselves, the book was a strong reminder of the problems missionaries face returning home.

As a gift for my 31st birthday, my brother-in-law gave me a copy of Will the Real Heretics Please Stand Up, by David W. Bercot. The title is a shocker, but the book itself is about the early church right after the Apostles. Bercot challenges the reader to see how culture has dictated modern Christian ideology and how the early church stepped away from the cultural norms of the day. I am in the first half of the book right now, and it is pushing me to explore what parts of my own faith have been molded by modern politics and culture apart from the word of God.

In my daily walk, I am working through Deuteronomy and the book of Job. With so much discussion of the law and righteousness, I can't help but see the need for Jesus Christ. In reference to the book above, I can see where we as Christians can get derailed looking for righteousness defined by our own standards; missing the reason for the law entirely. As Jesus declared:
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." (Matthew 5:17 NIV)"
Finally, my wife has asked me to read through Shepherding a Child's Heart, by Tedd Tripp. As our children grow, we hope to create a unified plan and purpose for sharing the love of Christ and the power of God. How could I refuse such a request?

What are you reading?
I would love to know. Most of these books were at the recommendation of others. If we are what we eat, then sharing a book is like sharing a fine meal with friends.

No comments: