Shipping Damage

After all of my careful work on Made New, a mistake on my part has led to some severe damage in shipping. Apparently, the new glazing technique will require a new crating procedure, as the packing material stuck to the surface of the work. The result is devastating:



I received the painting back today, and started work on restoring the surface. The white areas are actually the remainder of shipping material that has adhered itself to the top coat of glaze. Fortunately, I use a few top coats of glaze that can be removed; allowing for a resurface without ill effect. In retrospect, I should have known better when making the crate for shipping. Brad, The Broken Messenger has been very gracious, considering the headache it has been for him.



These shots show the surface after dissolving the packing material from the surface. Little marks still remain in the top glaze, but should be removed when I strip the top coat.

No comments: