Laying Down the Line

As I sit here to type, I keep coming back to an interesting post on Adrian Warnock's blog this week about the purpose of blogging, specifically for Christians. Why do we do it? It it teaching, evangelism, or just idle conversation? In his list of possibilities, Adrian offers this:

Like the invention of the printing press, blogging gives the potential for ideas to spread quickly. Ideas can also flow and form organically across many different sites. The potential for blogs to be part of a pyromarketing campaign has yet to be fully explored. There is great power in blogging because there is great power in words and in communication, especially in communication that interacts.
To share a Christian viewpoint directly from believers who make up the church is powerful. It places a face on faith, just as Christ did as he walked with men here on earth. I hope that in my own art and writing the love of Christ shines through.


Back to work on a pillar of fire
I have been making steady process on this new work. Before I can finish the underpainting, the texture needs to be added. I am using a heavy gel medium for the pillar itself, to add more movement to flames. The process itself is simple if not time-consuming. There is a wait involved while individual sections dry overnight.

Adding texture is a nice break, as I use a pallet knife for the entire process. It offers bold strokes, and feels a little like building as opposed to painting. To start, a loose layer is slathered on the sketch and a rough form is cut out. I need to be careful, as once the gel is dry, it is permanent.


Slather and cut.

Once the lines are cut to satisfaction, I pull and spread the texture to suggest the material. After building the texture, I recut any lines that have strayed and then wait.


Texture and wait.

When dry, the gel is clear. I have to trust that it was done properly, as it is difficult to see the pattern until it is painted again.


Multi-tasking
I am about to start a smaller work to tide me over during the wait times. I am currently debating trying some ideas that never made it to canvas, or exploring some new ones before committing to a larger work. I am open to ideas.

No comments: