Sketching in Paint

I put my sketch down on canvas yesterday. For this work, paint was used in place of charcoal or pencil. I started using my regular pencil (just an old lead holder of my father's) but it didn't feel quite right. For a wash, burnt umber and a little white created a simple base for the painting to be layered upon. The great thing about using paint is that it is easier to fill in a space to suggest depth. Even though I felt a little slow to start on this piece, it has started to gain momentum.


A sketch in paint. Yes, I only used one color.

The ground and sky are not yet developed as they are in the second paper sketch; I left this only as suggested space on the canvas. Because of the method planned for these areas, no detailed sketch is needed. From here I will be adding the texture and underpainting. It can get messy, so I tend to avoid adding details where they may be covered during "construction."

In the "Hits a Little Close to Home" Category:
In a recent article by the Internet Monk, Michael Spencer discusses the importance of using all scripture in understanding Jesus. He finds that all too often, we search the bible for a "shopping list" of verses pertaining to particular subjects, but miss the ability to blend those ingredients together to make something great. A little "taste" of his point:

If we are God's people, we only see the wrath of God in Jesus. We only know the justice of God in Jesus. We only know the love of God in Jesus. Everything else is a shadow, a pointer, a sign, a reminder. Jesus is the reality. All that scripture spoke about God was leading us to understand, embrace, trust and believe in Jesus.
I agree Michael.

No comments: