Spoken in Dreams


Like Night and Day.

Will the Lord speak to us in dreams? Perhaps in the silence of sleep, it is the only time we will forget our concerns and truly listen.

"I have heard what the prophets say who prophesy lies in my name. They say, 'I had a dream! I had a dream!' How long will this continue in the hearts of these lying prophets, who prophesy the delusions of their own minds? They think the dreams they tell one another will make my people forget my name, just as their fathers forgot my name through Baal worship. Let the prophet who has a dream tell his dream, but let the one who has my word speak it faithfully. For what has straw to do with grain?" declares the LORD. "Is not my word like fire," declares the LORD, "and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?" (Jeremiah 23:25-29 NIV)
I am about to start a new group of work based on the Holy Spirit speaking in dreams. The exciting part is that it is not my dreams, but those of a friend. A few years ago, a family from our church was sent out to serve abroad in a distant and different culture. Separated from the connections of home and church, relationships grew difficult within the family. These dreams came as a result of that change. The mother in this family has felt the Lord speak about her role in supporting her husband's work and raising children in a foreign country. Many of the ideas she spoke of were direct applications of scripture.

As God states in Jeremiah, I wish to be carefully as I wander into this area. Rather than try to interpret these dreams for myself and possibly bear false witness, I intend to do each work in a small series of studies in different styles to help my friend solidify the images for use in teaching and encouragement. I look forward to what may come.

No comments: